Welcome to OTOH
Occupational therapists provide work-related services in a variety of settings, including corporate and industrial environments, acute care and rehabilitation facilities, psychiatric clinics and sheltered workshops. Services are linked to work hardening/conditioning, pre-employment screening, functional capacity evaluations, ergonomics, ill-health and injury prevention, and employee wellness.
Synergy between occupational therapists and occupational health clinics and/or employee wellness service providers has shown greater benefits and improved service delivery in the specific needs of employers in terms of:
- Job analysis to identify possibilities for job adaptations, work accommodations, ergonomic considerations and accessibility.
- Evaluation of employees’ functional abilities, potential for improvement and need for adaptation, bearing in mind the employer’s organisational culture.
- Education related to health, safety and injury prevention, proper body mechanics, stress and pain management strategies.
- Strategies to improve social, communication, emotional regulation and coping skills.
- Development of programmes that incorporate graded and simulated activities, as well as opportunities for job trial to facilitated graded return-to-work after illness or injury.
- Case management services to assist in the coordination and planning of return to work.
In order to facilitate professional development and improve communication and synergy between various role-players in occupational health, the interest group “Occupational Therapy in Occupational Health” (OTOH) was formed.